Thursday, August 4, 2011

July 20-24 The German International Amateur



After a long 5 hour drive to Frankfurt, I now have given myself 2 good days to prepare for the IAM.   I entered this international field as one of 40 Germans - the top 140 amateurs in Europe overall received invitations.  During the first practice round it was clear to me that most of the players here had ambitions of soon turning professional.  The practice areas were over run by players dressed in their snazzy sponsored outfits, only too be bested by their coaches, managers, caddies and all the other seemingly "essential" members of their team.  To help paint the picture, allow me to describe the warm up before the first round:  To my left, Benedict Staben (who is this guy?) with 2 swing coaches, the German national trainer, Sky Sports video crew and a handful of random spectators.  Over one more, Antoine Schwarz of France with coach, mental coach and 6 or 7 French-bedecked groupies.  Top handicap in Europe... something like +5.4.  To my right, Nicolo Quintarelli.  He dressed, looked, and emanated the ambiance of someone with a name like "Quintarelli".  Number one player in Italy - Italian national trainer and half his extended family, equivalent to I'd say 3 American-sized families, by his side.  Oh and of course in the middle, Daniel Schmieding.  Accompanied by, golf bag.  This new ballgame bothered me not one bit.  In fact, I relished my situation.  I'm here to play golf and let my clubs do the talking.          

No comments:

Post a Comment