Thursday, August 4, 2011

August 1-3 EPD Bad Waldsee Classic

My second start in a professional event.  The EPD Tour is the German PGA tour, a gateway to the European Challenge Tour and the European Tour.  The setting was much like the first EPD I played in Coburg.  140 players at the start with about 20 amateurs allotted places in the field.  Top 40 and ties make the cut after 2 rounds and play one final round.  Sponsors have their stands where players receive free gifts such as Pro V1's, gloves, hats and as a pleasant surprise, new Footjoy Icons.  These sponsor gifts are supposed to be "pro only", but I passed pretty easily as an amateur and bagged a few $100 worth of accessories.  Good start.



My first round was simply awful.  I triple-bogeyed the 5th - I'd rather not get into details.  I ground it back to even par only to settle for two 3-putts coming in for a 74.  (+2) put me in T68.  My plans of contending for the win quickly turned into simply "making the cut".

Round two was a little better as I was able to turn up the heat on holes 7-12.  I birdied 6 straight and finished rather discontent with a 68 and a total of (-2) after 2 rounds.  The cut was at level par.  I was able to play the final round.


The final round was more of the same as day two.  Excellent ball striking from tee to green but I spent more time chiseling the frost off my putter than making putts.  Figuratively speaking of course.  Final round 69.  Total of 74 68 69 put me at (-5) and a T18.  As an amateur I had to of course forfeit the pay check.  Experience is my reward... along with the new pair of shoes.  Props to Ben Parker from England for firing a tournament total (-15).



    

No comments:

Post a Comment