Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Aug 14 - Swiss International Final

After two consecutive rounds of 69, I easily made the cut but stayed put in T12, 5 back of the leader.  I knew I had to go low in round 3 to put myself back in contention.  So I decided to go to the Ascona's world renowned night club, Seven, till 4 in the morning.  Just kidding.  A group of us did however go to this very unusual restaurant.  Grotto Baldoria.  It is a restaurant found in the courtyard of an old, rustic home with only outdoor seating.  The terrace "roof" is made of grape vines with views of the mountains and stars shining through.  The atmosphere was top.  The courtyard was brimming with culture - different languages coming from every corner.  A very simple concept.  There is only one menu (actually no menu) at Grotto.  Everyone eats the same thing.  Your table is first served with red wine and white wine.  No labels, no complaining.  Next, a large wooden pallet with cheese and italian salamis is passed around.  Everyone cuts off their share and it goes to the next table.  This is followed by a massive (20 Kg) pot of pasta - everyone again takes their share.  Then comes the meat, more cheese, and desert.  An extensive, high quality meal with the price tag of a pizza.  Grotto is always full - we waited an hour for our seats.  Ingeniously cost effective and unique.  I love it.

Back to golf.  My Sunday 36 began at 8:10 am.  I was paired with 2 French players.  I think from now on, if I curse on the course, it will be in French.  Hilarious.  "Alè alè.  Le pout!"



At exactly 14:10, I climbed to one off lead.  I finally found my rhythm along side some great fan support as I was able to tame the beast for a bogey free 65 in round 3.  This still put me one back of the lead - however, by again birdieing number 1 in round 4, and word soon spreading that the leader made a bogey, I had the solo lead at -11.  I clawed my way to -13 through 12 but found out that Andrea Guirini of Switzerland and Filippo Bergamaschi of Italy were lighting it up, and -13 suddenly put me two back.  What the heck.  They even had 4 or 5 more holes left than I did.  I missed a given-the-situation must make birdie on 15 and subsequently bogeyed the tough 16th.  Some of the followers left our group to watch the action taking place in the last groups.  So did my adrenaline.  I still gave the last 2 an aggressive go but I finished the final round with a 70.  A tournament total of -11 (69 69 65 70) put in 5th at the Swiss International.  In retrospect, a great finish, but I of course wanted the trophy that came with the European Tour exemptions given to the winner.      

  

1 comment: