Friday, August 16, 2013

German International Amateur Championship, July 25-28


With seemingly most of the summer already in review, I have finally managed the time and energy to step back onto the golf stage and compete in a tournament.  With much anticipation, I traveled to Frankfurt to play in the 2013 "IAM".  130 players from 16 countries have also made the trip and are vying for the trophy held by Moritz Lampert last year and Daan Huizing one before.      





We are playing in Golf Club Neuhof near Frankfurt.  This is a track I absolutely love as it is particularly well maintained and very challenging.  Incredibly tight from the tee yet many par 4's are 420+ and force you to hit driver.  Since I tend to hit driver anywhere, this suits me quite well.  At the players' dinner the night prior, many of the players were discussing how often they play driver.  I heard everything from 2 times to 7 times.  I hit driver 11 times in my practice round and plan on no less in competition.  This aggressive style might get me in trouble, however I can speak from experience that this strategy also dominates when you are running hot.  It worked for me a few years back...   :)




Round one


To summarize round one: I followed through hitting driver in all situations and was very happy with the result, but could not reap the benefits.  I had short irons to pins where others were hitting 5 irons, but I could not convert the putts.  Very frustrating.  At the par 4 15th Tee I was a disgruntled level-par and questioning the seriousness of my situation.  Then, out of nowhere, I one-hop hole out with a wedge for eagle.  I have absolutely no problem leaving the putter in the bag for this one :)  

I par the last three and shoot an opening 70 (-2).  I'm T8 and 5-shots !?! behind the leader.        
Round One 


Round Two


Moving Day(s)


In rounds two and three I continue my aggressive style, and over the next 36 holes I make another eagle, 6 birdies, one bogey and a double-bogey.  The driver was hot.  Most of the leaders after 36 gave some back on Saturday due to tougher conditions, but I was able to take advantage.




Sunday Finale


After 3 rounds of 70 69 70, I find myself tied for 3rd at -7, 2 shots back of the leader Sebastian Von den Hoff.  Sunday I am privileged and excited to play in the leader flight and have another chance at this Championship.


The fan support on the final day was tremendous.  Many Frankfurters came out to line the fairways and watch the final round of the IAM.  For me, I had a very special visitor.  Completely unannounced, Philomena left Munich at 4:30 in the morning and was standing on the driving range even before I arrived.  A wonderful surprise from an amazing girlfriend.  Philo wandered with the crowds the first nine, and as the tension rose on the inward nine, she came inside the ropes, living every decision, every shot and every moment at my side.  My friend and caddy Jonas was the third in this 3-person team.  I had everything I could possibly ask for. 



The final round started off brilliant.  On the fairway of the first, my ball found a sandy divot.  I had to take a step back because the camera man wanted to zoom in on the lie.  He proceeded to say "that's unlucky".  Thanks, man.  I put a 7-iron to 4 meters and made the downhill breaker for birdie.  So much for unlucky.
Friendly vibes with Rotluff after making some putts









I make a 5 meter birdie putt on hole 2 and for the first time in this tournament, find myself tied for the lead with Sebastian Van den Hoff and the German National Team player and Arizona State All-American Golfer, Max Rotluff.  Game on.  



I proceed to lose some momentum as I three-putt the third hole.  I follow that with a pulled 4-iron into the hazard on the par 4 4th hole.  I take a penalty drop, followed by a poor 6 iron to 25 meters (85 feet) and have that left for par.  To add to the drama, Von den Hoff is close for birdie.  I hope to two putt and regain momentum on the par-5 5th.  But... as unexpected as the day-one hole out on 15, I drop the bomb for par and stoically act as if it was standard.  Thank you, thanks, I tip my hat.  


I go on and birdie the 5th but so does Max Rotluff, who is now -10 with Von den Hoff.  I am -9.

I bogey 6, 8 and find the water on the par 5 10th.  I make a solid par on 10 to stay -7.  New stance:  

Von den Hoff -9
Rotluff -8
Foos -8
Ohorn -8
Schmieding & 2 others -7


I bitterly graze the edges, lip-out and manage to miss birdie putts in painful fashion on 11, 12 and 13.  

On the downwind 14th, I attack a short pin from 135 with a gap-wedge, but land short on the bank, ending up back into the water.  I manage to up and down from 50 meters, but still concede a bogey.


I bounce back and make a lengthy birdie putt on 15.  On 16, 17 and 18 I hit three of the best drives I can remember hitting, especially under such tight circumstances, but have to settle with a par, par, par finish.  Von den Hoff has a tough finish after badly missing the fairway on 17 and 18.  The calm and confident Rotluff plays the final four holes in flawless fashion, and finishes the tournament -10, enough to win by 1 shot ahead of Marcel Ohorn and the Danish star Mads Soegaard.  I shoot an eventful, but insufficient even par 72 for the day, finishing the IAM at -7; solo 5th place.


Final Leaderboard



4 Day Scorecard










Up and Down par on 18.


In the end, I was 3 strokes short of the winner.  Slightly disappointing to come so close, but I'm not going to dwell on it.  Although my job has put a major damper on my golf career, I will continue to devote my free-time to bettering my game.  Heck, I practiced only a few days before this event and was able to contend.   The excitement of playing in the final group is tough to beat, and I plan to keep knocking on the door at these international events.  


Link to the IAM 2013 Video






No comments:

Post a Comment