Sunday, October 7, 2012

July-September 2012 - International German Championship & Deutsche Meisterschaft



This time I have really been on hiatus, but there is much to update.  Since the success at the British, my competitive golf drive has lost some of its steam.  This may sound negativistic, but I assure you, such is not the case :)  My attention and focus has wandered more and more away from the golf course.  In short, my investment work has provided me a golden opportunity, and I'm going after it.  This has blossomed a new serenity in my life and simply speaking, put golf in the backseat.  But this is a golf blog, so let me get to it.


July 19-22.  German International Championship


We are playing the beautiful Green Eagle Golf Course in Winsen, Germany.  I pull in after my 6 hour drive and succumb to goosebumps as I take my first glance at the course.    



Green Eagle is the ultimate rose analogy.  This meadow has thorns in the form of excessive water, gnarly rough, wind, undulated lightning speed greens, and... 7208m (7925 yards) from the tips.  Top 10 longest courses... in the world.  Brute.

The weather has pestered me all season long, so it's only fair I get to play this gem in beautiful weather.  I think my next photo will save me a paragraph of frustration.

Last year, I titled my entry to this tournament "Heartbreak Sunday", and that is because I lead the tournament after all three rounds, only to give the lead away to Dutch phenom Dann Huizing on day 4 and finish 3rd.  The field is equally as talented this year and I'm excited to play this tournament with some history and respect amongst the players.

During the players party the evening beforehand, the DGV asked a few players to come up and speak about their biggest successes in golf.  These 5 were put on the spot, and after hearing "when I won this, when I beat him" a few times, it was my turn.  I said, "I pride myself not to have shot a round in the 80's in the last 8 years and to never have missed a cut in my amateur career."  Can you say karma???

Freddi and me playing round one together ^^^^











I open round one in 79 (+6) in the pouring rain.  Puts me in T-55 of 120.  60 and ties cut after 3 rounds.  Moritz Lampert, who has been seemingly winning every event he plays, brings home a 69 (-4) and leads the way.  +2 in round two brings me to T-25, but I'm clearly not playing my best and now playing for position.  The third round I completely break down and shoot "an" 82 (+9).  I don't think I've ever used the article"an" when posting a score.  Great timing after my wise choice of words a few nights back.  Somehow I make the cut (phew), and fire "a" 73 in the final round, ending my misery in T-42.  Btw, Moritz shoots (-10) for the tournament.  No one else finished under par...



September 6-9.  Deutsche Meisterschaft Golfclub Hardenberg


The German Golf Association has been a phenomenal backing to the development of golf in Germany.  This week again, in Hardenberg, we are privileged to compete on another fantastic golf course.  This unique layout brings an unusual obstacle into play.  Namely, stone.  Many of the fairways and greens are surrounded by artistically crafted walls of stone, prompting some interesting lies and ridiculous improvisation shots.  The course again, is a championship design and extremely challenging.  I don't expect to see too many red numbers this week...  




I shoot 77 75 and again, am not really on my game.  I don't get to practicing and my focus just isn't there.  On top of that, I have been dealing with some back problems since July, and for the first time in my career, I contemplated withdrawing


.  

But, my spirit refuses to give in, and after a heated discussion with the mental coach of the national team, who argued I was being egotisitical to continue, I decided to play one more round.  I want to make the cut, and then I can retire.  At least I will keep that statistic.  Reaffirming that golf is a game of confidence and heart, I close with one of the low rounds of the day, making putt after putt for a 72.  I climb to T-18 of 102, make the cut, but still withdraw from the final.  




To this I am taking a longer break from golf, but I plan to heal my back and intensively train my body through the winter.  If I can balance it in with work, I will select a few specific events next year to play... Most likely Como, Italy and perhaps in a few similar life-inspiring locations.  It is now time for Oktoberfest here in my city.  The last hurrah before winter, which I am very much looking forward to :)

  

No comments:

Post a Comment